Want to work as a contractor on an exciting variety of projects ranging from global pop stars to charitable organizations and everything in between? Mass Velocity is looking for a developer contractor for upcoming WordPress projects in the late Summer, Fall, and Winter! Our office is in Victoria, BC, but you’ll have the opportunity to work remotely with mostly flexible hours. Occasional meetings may happen in office space but other than that, make your workspace wherever you feel most comfortable!
You’ll be assisting our lead designer and developer in the creation of attractive and dynamic websites for our clients. You are a hard-worker who demonstrates impeccable attention to detail, technical proficiency, a sharp eye for design, self-motivation, and critical thinking. You also thrive on collaboration, enjoy a challenge, and are dedicated to staying at the forefront of emerging technologies.
If this sounds like you, apply to be a Mass Velocity contractor! We’re a full-service boutique creative agency that’s been in business since 2012. Our team is small but our talents are many, and we are dedicated to providing the best possible results for our clients. Our services range from social media management, to web development, to copywriting, to print design. We work with local, provincial, and national clients in a variety of industries.
This contract position requires proficiency in building WordPress websites from the ground up and HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL experience is necessary.
This contract position is remote but may require occasional meetings in our Victoria, BC office space or with clients. Some availability will be required between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time during the first two weeks for onboarding and training.
- Ability to write structured, well-organized, and reusable code
- Inspect and troubleshoot bugs and other QA issues
- Stay on top of best practices/trends/tools
- Ensure and uphold consistent UI/UX in designs
- Manage your own tasks & deadlines
- Be able to communicate directly with partners if the need arises
- Contribute to ongoing projects and drive to improve the development process
- Significant experience developing WordPress websites and creating custom themes
- Strong understanding of modern web development principles such as grids, responsive design, progressive enhancement, etc
- Experience with WordPress performance optimizations
- Page layout skills and a good sense of design
- Working knowledge of SEO best practices
- Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and/or Adobe XD
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as strong organizational and time management skills
- Legal working status in Canada (please note that we cannot sponsor work permits for this position)
Nice to Haves (But Not Need to Haves):
- Degree/diploma related to web development
- Shopify/WooCommerce or other ecommerce experience
- Squarespace and Mailchimp experience
- Experience with the Sage/Roots WordPress starter theme and the Bedrock boilerplate
- Experience using Git and Bitbucket for version control
- Experience with build tools (Grunt, Gulp, Yarn, Webpack, etc…)
- Experience developing HTML/web apps for touchscreens
- Knowledge/experience with Zapier
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Remote friendly
- Flexible scheduling
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Developer Contractor” in the subject line, along with links to websites you have developed (including a brief description of the project highlighting your involvement, and any unique or noteworthy features).
Contracts to be discussed and projects estimated on a case by case basis.